Gophers explosive offense buries Meade, 27-7

FORT MEADE, Md. — In a matchup between two up and coming teams in Anne Arundel County, Glen Burnie (5-2) used its big-play ability to pick up a solid 27-7 victory over Meade (4-3) on Friday night.

As both teams looked to continue their successful seasons, the Mustangs hosted the Gophers on Homecoming in front of a sizeable crowd. But despite a Meade touchdown early in the game, Glen Burnie took control of the game in the second quarter, behind the arm and legs of quarterback Romeo Edmonds, and never looked back.

Meade found itself with great field position midway through the first quarter after an interception and long return by defensive back Isaiah Hall. The Mustangs would take over only 19 yards from the end zone. Two plays later, running back Kameryn Henry powered across the goal line to give Meade a 7-0 lead.

But in the blink of an eye, Glen Burnie stormed down the field to tie the game. Edmonds hit a long pass to Kayden Tasker, and then kept the ball and scored from two yards out to knot the score only 30 seconds later.

As play moved into the second quarter, the Gophers started to assert themselves on both sides of the ball. Edmonds would find receiver Dante Todd for a 61-yard touchdown pass which gave Glen Burnie a 14-7 lead.

With time winding down before halftime, Meade entered the red zone. The Mustangs were threatening, but quarterback Brian Jamison’s pass was intercepted in the back of the end zone by Glen Burnie’s Arjae Mobray to bring an end to the half.

Glen Burnie received the kickoff to begin the second half and methodically marched down the field. Aided by a few penalties, the Gophers would score on another rushing touchdown by Edmonds to extend their lead to 21-7.

After forcing Meade to punt the ball away, Edmonds would hit receiver Danny Outen down the sidelines who burned his way to the end zone for another Gophers touchdown. The snap was bobbled on the extra point, and the impromptu two-point conversion play was incomplete. Glen Burnie took a commanding 27-7 lead and would never look back.

Both teams traded possessions back and forth in the 4th quarter. Meade had one last chance to come back, but Jamison’s pass to the corner of the end zone was bobbled and dropped, and Glen Burnie was take over on downs and run out the clock.

Glen Burnie will return home next week in a huge game as they host Old Mill (6-1). Meade will return to action as they hit the road to take on Annapolis (4-3).

Powered by

%d bloggers like this: